Monday 18 May 2020

The hunt for jerk paste!

Day 56

This morning I went over to Mum's to help with her paperwork and sort things out for her. We put everything into folders so she can find things more easily. While I was there Keith went to Aldi and Tesco to get some shopping for up until Wednesday.

When he finished he called back for me and we went home to have lunch. I'd promised Mike that we would cook Jerk Chicken Pasta when he returned home but Keith couldn't find the paste in Tesco that we needed. As we have to marinate the chicken for a few hours before cooking it meant we had to go out on the hunt for it this afternoon! We went to the Weston Favell Centre but the queue for Tesco was astronomical! They were waiting to go in on the lower level so we swiftly abandoned that idea!

We went to Waitrose where there wasn't a queue but couldn't find it anywhere - they didn't even stock a marinade. Both of us were dressed like tramps, if I'm honest, and certainly not how we would have chosen for this posh supermarket (!) so we made another swift exit and went to Asda next door, where we had to queue again, this time in the sunny car park. I'd googled whether Asda stocked the paste while we were in Waitrose and luckily they had supplies so we bought two jars so we don't face this problem again! Before heading home we called to see my Mum again and I picked up a big bag of papers that needed shredding. I told Binty about the paste and she said she always has some in her fridge!

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing and we enjoyed a delicious cottage pie for dinner. Afterwards I gave the garden a thorough water - it's set to get hotter this week - and then marinaded the chicken by massaging the sauce into the meat. There's a risk with this of touching your eyes afterwards - ouch!

No comments: