Wednesday 13 May 2020

Financial worries

Day 51

I spent the morning with my Mum, going through all of her finances and then spending an hour on the phone with a very robotic woman who was conducting a financial assessment on my Dad. I had to go through everything which was a stressful experience. At the end she said we owed about £240 a week for my Dad's stay at the care home, for his rehabilitation, which was a huge shock to us as we'd been told his stay was free. If he hadn't fallen and fractured his wrist, he wouldn't have been in there!

After the phone call, I rang the care home and spoke to the manager who confirmed that his stay was free as it was rehabilitation. Once I returned home I emailed his social worker and received a nonsensical reply, so I was more confused than ever!

One thing I do know is that later years care is not free, unless you are absolutely destitute. My parents will have to make a contribution to their care, whether they stay at home or go into residential care and the costs of that are mind-boggling!

Later in the afternoon, when Sophie had finished work, we walked down to the village. I actually wore my coat as it was so chilly! We walked down to the bridge and then home again where I jumped into the bath to get warm! Brrr!


No comments: