Friday 22 May 2020

Running errands

Day 60

I'd arranged to take Mum shopping this morning as it was something she hadn't done for months! I picked her up at about 10am and discovered that Binty was coming along, too, so I said they would be able to shop together while I went off and bought some bits we needed (even though Keith had been yesterday!).

This was the first time Mum had shopped during "lockdown" and she was a bit bemused by the queue stretching up the walkways, but thankfully we didn't have to wait for long. I said I would meet them at the customer service desk when they'd finished as I still had Dad's card and I would help them with the payment.

I went off and did our shopping in five minutes flat so I took it back to the car and decided to go back and treat myself to some plants and compost. I also picked out a box of plant feed and some grass seed, and half way around I met them both in one of the aisles.

I went and waited and managed to get in a lot of people's way! After about half an hour I was growing a bit restless and one of the staff came over to see if I was OK! I explained what I was doing - not loitering with intent! - and after another five minutes spotted Mum and Binty coming along from where the checkouts were! I was a bit annoyed that they hadn't met me as arranged!

I sent them to the car while I went and used the self-serve checkouts and then I dropped them home. I think next time I will go on my own or get them to try and arrange an online shopping slot which has been an impossibility for the last three months. Maybe things have calmed down a bit now!

I was at home enjoying a sandwich for lunch when the phone rang and it was Dad's care home - he needed some more clean clothes... I called my Mum and said that I needed to pick up some clothes and she sorted them all out for me. She wanted to come along for the ride so we went and dropped the stuff off at the home. There were quite a few people talking to one of the residents and the staff and I wished we were able to talk to my Dad like that. We really must make a decision in the next week about what will happen when he comes out of the care home and it's an important thing to discuss, but at the moment it's hard work.

Back home I relaxed and when Sophie came home we watched 90 Day Fiance which is becoming a bit far-fetched! Two of the people surely know they're being catfished!

Sophie and I made fish pie for dinner and then we had a very enjoyable evening watching Vivacious Lady starring James Stewart and Ginger Rogers. It was lovely to forget about everything for a while and just enjoy a good film!

No comments: