Saturday 2 May 2020

A bit of relaxation

Day 40

Sophie and I went over to Mum's house this morning at 9am and made her some breakfast and a cup of coffee. She'd had a good night's sleep and seemed OK, but she definitely isn't right. I am just praying that once Binty comes to stay on Monday, and my Dad is home, things will get better. I'm not sure they can get any worse!

After we'd made sure she was OK, we left and went home to have breakfast. It was a gorgeous day and we spent the rest of the morning sitting in the conservatory reading the newspapers. At last, I felt able to relax a little.

Sophie and I went back over to Mum's at lunchtime to make sure she took her medication and she said she felt very depressed, which immediately lowered our mood as well. She said she hated being on her own even though there must be millions of people in this country (and worldwide) who are facing this pandemic on their own without seeing friends and family.

While we were there we changed the spare bed and made room in the wardrobe and drawers for Binty's belongings. I just hope she likes the room! Back downstairs we suggested going out into the garden to sit in the sun for a while but I'm not sure it helped much.

My Mum is obviously depressed and I think this has been building for quite some time now. I said we could call the doctor's surgery on Monday to see if there's anything they can do. We sat and chatted for a little while and then Sophie and I returned home, had some leftover chilli for lunch and then went out for a walk.

We walked into the village and down the track to Mick's farm. It was utterly beautiful and all the trees and bushes have now burst into leaf and blossom.



There was a lovely smell in the air too, a sort of cow parsley scent that was really noticeable. Apparently our skies appear bluer at the moment because of the reduced pollution in the air, which is great news! One good thing about all this!

We walked for a fair way down the track and leaned on a gate, gazing out over sheep fields towards the village of Scaldwell in the distance. We turned back, trying to dodge the hordes of gnats hovering over the track and walked through the sheep field. One sheep really did seem to want to come and say hello but as we inched nearer, she lost her nerve and waddled off!

Back home I managed to catch the last hour and a half of You've Got Mail which was so lovely. Sophie made us both a small Martini and it was really lovely to sit and relax. I phoned my Mum who said that the evening carer who was coming to help her prepare dinner had stayed for all of six minutes! Ridiculous!

For our dinner we enjoyed cold Spanish meats, cheeses, bread and new potatoes with salad. Just before settling down to watch Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood, I called Mum to speak to the night sitter to make sure Mum had taken her medication. We had a bit of a confusing call but in the end I think we got there!

The film was a bit strange to say the least with a very weird ending, and not what we were expecting at all. Sophie and I were just glad we hadn't paid to see it at the cinema!

No comments: