Thursday 7 May 2020

Decisions, decisions...

Day 45

Sophie was in at work this morning as tomorrow we have a Bank Holiday to celebrate VE Day - it was moved from Monday 4 May, so I keep thinking that it's Easter again as it's so rare to have a Friday off! Perhaps I would have been working, who knows?

Keith went shopping this morning and I pootled about cleaning the house as there was nothing else to do! At lunchtime I took a call from the manager of the care home in Moulton who did a care assessment for my Mum. At the end of the conversation he said it would be £900 a week each for them to stay... an astronomical amount of money and it would mean that we'd have to either sell the house or enter into a deferred payment agreement and rent it out to generate some income. This, however, would have other implications as the rental income would be taxable.

Keith said that at the moment it would be best to keep Dad in his care home as he is now undergoing rehabilitation for six weeks and at the end of this period he might be greatly improved. Binty could then care for them both at home for half the price of the home.

We went over to see Mum who seemed very upset today and said she was missing my Dad. That's natural but I honestly think she's best off where she is as if they both went into the care home, they would be isolated in their room for 14 days quarantine. At least now she can go out into the garden and go for a walk around the village.

However, she insisted that she didn't want to stay at home but seemed very confused again. She had trouble remembering the passwords and pin for the online banking, which worried me a lot. We stayed for about an hour and then left to go home where I was about to give notice for Binty, but at the last minute I decided to call my Dad. Luckily, he answered the phone and was quite adamant he didn't want to go to Moulton and said he wanted to complete his rehabilitation where he was - he seemed to be liking it there, which was in contradiction to what my Mum was saying!

Because of this I called Elder and said we were going to stay with Binty looking after Mum and see how Dad was in six weeks. I am just hoping that now this is it!

Sophie came home at 5pm and we sat and chatted in the garden for a while. It's been a glorious day and lovely and warm. Keith had treated me to a bottle of the Elderflower Gin I like, so, after catching five minutes of the news, which is all I can stand at the moment, we played cards in the conservatory which was lovely.

Sophie and I cooked dinner of breaded pork escalopes and after we'd eaten we watch Sleeping With The Enemy starring a very young Julia Roberts. Later in the evening the full Super "Flower" Moon appeared and when we went out at 11pm to get Monty in, we stood and gazed at it for a while. It was beautiful!

No comments: