Sunday 22 March 2020

A different kind of Mother's Day...

We awoke to blue skies and sunshine again, but it was still chilly in the wind. I suppose it still is March!

The children had bought me cards, chocolate and Champagne so I was delighted with my presents. I called Mum to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and said I would pop over for a slice of cake and a cup of tea this afternoon.

Sophie prepared dinner for tonight while I cleaned the downstairs of the house and changed our bed. It was great to get the bedding out on the line and see it billowing in the wind and sunshine. Another positive about this situation is that we're going into the Spring and Summer, thank goodness and not into the Autumn and Winter. That really would have been hard to have been cooped up for three months in the darkest period of the year.

Sophie and I called to see Mum and Dad in the afternoon and took a cake that I'd bought yesterday. A lot of people were out walking, more than I have ever seen! There have been reports on the news that people have been ignoring the "social distancing" and gathering in large groups in parks and at the beach, probably thinking that as they're outside they're immune to catching the virus. I do think we have received some conflicting advice as not so long ago they said there was less chance of catching it in open spaces and even sports events, but I have a feeling that next week we will be on "lockdown" like in Italy, Spain and France.

We stayed with Mum and Dad for nearly two hours and I helped them with some little chores before we went home. As it was a gorgeous day we dragged Keith out for a walk, choosing to go into the village, see the lambs and then amble down the track that leads to the nature reserve.



It was beautiful and peaceful and so lovely to get away from the news and alarming reports on Facebook. I still can't believe that we are in this situation - it seems like we're in a bad dream.

We walked a fair way down and on the way back met John, one of Keith's friends from the pub. He was out walking his dog and after a chat at a safe distance (even though Keith had been with him on Friday!) we walked home.






Sophie cooked a delicious meal this evening - Mary Berry's Panang chicken and rice stir fry. It was absolutely delicious!



No comments: