Tuesday 22 January 2019

Snow!

Keith drove me to work this morning and Sophie decided that the gym wasn't for her as her cold is still lingering about. She left at 8am and braved the rush hour, something she's not used to these days!

Work was fine today and a lot quieter than yesterday. I learned that "heavy" snow was forecast this afternoon and I'm sure they hadn't given out warnings on the news this morning? Looking out of the window at the cloudless blue sky I found it hard to believe!

Keith picked me up at 2pm and the sky had clouded over and looked a bit ominous. Sophie texted me to ask if it was snowing at home but we had nothing at all.

By 3pm it had started to snow very lightly and by 4pm it was coming down quite heavily so I suggested to Keith we go down and get Sophie as she has never driven in the snow before. I, personally, hate it and loathe the feeling of being out of control if the car starts to slip and slide. We drove down and the weather was terrible - a mixture of sleet and snow and a grey mist.

We parked in the car park of the Hungry Horse pub and I bought Keith a pint. Outside the snow was falling in thick flakes and I was really glad we'd come down. However, after about half an hour the snow stopped so then I felt like a bit of an idiot as although the snow had settled on the grass verges, the roads were clear.

Sophie left work at 5pm and came over to see us. Keith drove my car home and I went with Sophie who is a very vocal driver! Keith was ahead but we couldn't really see him and after we turned off the A43 the snow started up again. After Holcot, we slowed right down as there was a driver up ahead who seemed very nervous and was going extremely slow! We followed the car right up until we reached our estate but they were doing no more than 20 miles an hour in the slush!

We found out from Keith that he'd overtaken the same car just after the Holcot roundabout so had been home quite a time! Outside it started coming down heavily again and I was so glad we were all home!

Dinner this evening was chicken curry and Mike's girlfriend, Gemma, was still with us. I was reluctant to let her go all the way home in the snow so I suggested she stay the night but as she's a vegetarian, we had to rapidly whip up beans and toast for her to eat while we had dinner! I'm not sure she was impressed but what could we do?!


No comments: