Saturday 12 January 2019

Our first disaster!

Sophie and I had a hair appointment this morning at 9.15am as we both needed our tresses chopped. It was a truly horrible morning - drizzly rain and dark grey skies. Not a brilliant start to the weekend!

We were both very pleased with our hair when we were finished. I'd had about three inches lopped off and the ends looked a lot healthier. We drove to the gym which was packed and I dropped Sophie off before going to park. I've never seen the car park so full and I just about managed to find a space! I sat in the car and read the papers while Sophie did a quick workout and before going home we dropped off some unwanted books at the charity donation shop near Weston Favell.

On Friday night we'd been watching 90 Day Fiance when obviously something happened to the transmission and we found ourselves suddenly watching a hoarding programme on TLC. We couldn't believe our eyes at what we were seeing - a woman and her 20 year old son were living in a house filled with old rubbish which was everywhere. They had to step over it to walk through the house. We were horrified! The books I'd taken to the shop had been sitting on the table in the study for a week so after seeing the programme I was determined to get rid of them!

Keith went off to see Sileby play in the afternoon so it was a perfect time for us to curl up on the sofa and catch up with some recorded programmes, with Monty all cosy between us. Outside the weather hadn't improved at all and tomorrow is forecast to be windy and mild.

I made cocktails before we started dinner - a Moscow Mule for Sophie and a G&T for me and we watched Pointless Celebrities before going into the kitchen to cook. I'd already taken the pork spare ribs out of the fridge and we then made another marinade to brush onto the meat as it was grilling. We used our new little chopper to blend garlic, oil, peppercorns and bay leaves before dipping each spare rib into the sauce and putting them under a very hot grill. Sophie, meanwhile, prepared Jasmine rice while I watched the ribs.

It all smelled lovely, but when we tried a small piece of the meat, it was very salty... We looked at each other in alarm but I perhaps thought it was just because the piece of meat was so small. However, another bit tasted the same so we were very worried.

We had a right to be - the meat was too salty and Sophie and I gave up eating it. Mike and Keith struggled on but we all agreed that tonight was our first disaster because the meat was basically inedible. Oh dear!

After dinner we sat and watched Red Sparrow which I felt went on far too long. We were going to go and see it in the cinema, but I'm so glad we didn't now!


No comments: