Monday 5 December 2016

Tackling the crowds...

We were all able to have a bit of a lie-in this morning as Mike wasn't at college today and Sophie didn't need to go into uni until midday. The weather was lovely again with blue skies and frost but there's a warning for fog later in the day.

We dropped Sophie off at uni and Keith and I drove over to the Weston Favell Centre as I needed some more Christmas cards and some stamps. We also needed to do the rest of the week's shop and still didn't have a clue as to what we were going to have for dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday night!

I went to get my cards while Keith changed some pounds into euros...Berlin is not far away! The card shop was like a scrum and I was elbowed several times as I tried to get to the cards I needed! It was a relief to get out of there! However, the queue for the post office was worse! I left Keith to stand in line while I wrote out a card for my long-term friend Julia, who lives near Chicago. As I was sorting out all the things I needed I felt a shopping trolley nudge me and it was my Mum who looked as frazzled as me! I had a feeling we'd see each other so after a quick chat I joined the queue while my parents braved the crowds in Tesco! Rather them than me!

That little job done, Keith and I drove to Aldi to do our shopping and it was not a pleasant experience! I had more elbow jostling and what made it worse was that we still hadn't decided on dinners so it was a case of wandering around trying to find inspiration! I don't think we'll try this particular branch again!

From Aldi we drove to Waitrose and after buying a large stamp in a nearby post office that I'd managed to forget, I joined Keith in the supermarket and we bought some ready-made chicken gravy. We are road testing various ones for Christmas Day! As we still had some time left to collect Sophie I bought us a cup of tea and I sat and wrote out some more Christmas cards while listening to the woman on the next table drone on and on about her medical troubles and getting condoms from her doctor! A conversation I couldn't help but overhear in Waitrose of all places! Who'd have thought!!!

We picked Sophie up and sped home to have a quick bite to eat as I'd booked us all to go and see the film Sully at the Odeon in Kettering at 3.30pm. I was hoping that at this time the cinema would be quiet, and it was! We all enjoyed the film and I said it was just about the right length - 96 minutes. As ever, Tom Hanks was brilliant and I honestly don't think he's ever made a bad film. It was very interesting and enjoyable.

We emerged out into the misty evening and took Mike to Brixworth where he was staying for the night. Back home it was bliss to curl up on the sofa and watch Christmas cookery programmes!


No comments: