Saturday 10 December 2016

Car park hold-ups!

It's been a very lazy day today with not much happening at all!

We did do a fair bit of driving about, though, so no change there! Mike went off to Moulton at midday and the arrangement was that Keith would pick him up on the way home from his football match in town. However, just as I was settling down to watch 30 Degrees in February (I had seven episodes to catch up on!) the phone rang and it was Mike wanting me to pick him up...

Outside the weather was really horrible - a constant rain and mist - so I was not at all keen on going out. I couldn't leave him to wait an hour, though, so I set off and came across a learner driver doing less than 30 miles an hour all the way to the next village. There was a dog on the back seat and his head was poking out of the rear window! At first I wondered what on earth it was!

To make matters worse I had an idiot driving too close behind me and over-taking was impossible in the gloomy, murky weather! Luckily the learner driver turned off and I could increase my speed a little bit!

In Moulton I drove into the car park of the Co-op in the middle of the village and saw Mike trudging up the road. He stayed in the car while I went to get a Beef Stroganoff mix for dinner. I didn't think we needed one, but Keith had insisted so I went in to look and of course, there was everything in the shop except the kind we needed!

I walked back out into the pouring rain and saw a huge delivery lorry trying to manoeuvre its way out of the car park. I stood and waited and became soaked by the rain but I had to make a dash for it and I prayed he wouldn't reverse over me! We had to wait ages while the lorry did a three hundred point turn and then I followed him down the narrow drive out onto the road. However, there were several cars parked opposite the entrance to the car park and the lorry couldn't make a left turn. He had to reverse back up the drive and all the while he was doing this a constant stream of cars drove past making his job even more difficult! We must have been stranded for about ten minutes!

This part of Moulton is constantly busy, very much like the shops in the middle of Brixworth. There's never enough parking so people leave their cars all over the place and it's a wonder there's not more accidents.

Eventually, after what seemed like years, we all managed to get out of the car park and I went to another little corner shop in the village. By contrast, this one was empty! Again, there was no beef stroganoff mix so I grabbed a beef casserole sauce and we fled home in the ever worsening gloom!

Mike went straight upstairs and had a bath when we got home as he was soaked from being out in the rain. I settled down to watch my programme and Keith came home with...lo and behold...two Beef Stroganoff mixes which he'd bought in Tesco before he went to his football match! Grrrrr!!!

No comments: