Tuesday 6 December 2016

A foggy walk...

The day dawned misty but it looked like the sun would make an appearance. However, on the way back from taking Sophie to uni the fog became very dense and the sun disappeared completely.

Keith and I had decided to go for a walk so we left the car at Pitsford and walked down to the nature reserve. It was very still, very damp and very quiet.




We saw and heard squirrels scampering about in the trees and saw one solitary pheasant, but that was it. Even if there had been deer about I doubt we would have seen them! There was a lot of shooting going on on Sunday so I was surprised to see the pheasant! It must have been the only one left!

We walked back home and met the woman who lives in the lonely farmhouse at the end of the track with her dogs, one of which wouldn't stop barking at us! Getting home was lovely as we were both wet and cold. We called Mike who seemed content to stay at Brixworth for the rest of the day and then went to get my car before having a well-earned lunch!

Monty knows the warm conservatory is the best place to be!
In the evening (still foggy) we went to pick up my Mum as we were going to Beckworth for one of their open evenings. We had been promised Mulled Wine and a mince pie so it was worth braving the horrible night for those treats!

As I thought, it was gearing up to be very busy but I made sure I had my wine and mince pie as soon as we entered. Both were delicious! We had a mooch about the food hall and then went into the Christmas Emporium as I was looking for battery powered lights for the mantlepiece. However, Sophie didn't like any that were on offer so we gave up and I bought two lovely little tea-light holders instead, and a gonk for the Scandinavian tree. We lost my Mum temporarily, and found her near the Christmas branches...she has a thing about glittery fake branches and twigs!

By now, it was much later than I realised and it was getting very busy, so we made our way to the tills and returned home through the murky night. Keith had started the dinner for us before going to his football match, and as soon as we got home I put our beef spare ribs into the oven. It was a bit later than planned but we'd had a great evening!

No comments: