Sunday 4 September 2016

Making friends with cows.

I was awake at 6am this morning because I had a headache (straining neck muscles yesterday painting the bloomin' ceiling) so I got up, took some tablets, fed the cat and went back to bed. At 7am I could hear Sophie and Keith downstairs and realised they were just about to go on an early morning walk, so I shouted down to them to wait for me and we all went!

As it had rained all day yesterday, Keith suggested going along the single track road out of the village and turning around after about half an hour, giving us an hour's walk. It was a sparklingly beautiful morning with the sky looking like it had been washed clean after the downpours of the day before. We walked to the village and then took the single track road, noticing the tents in the field by the village hall where the "Groove on the Green" revellers had been camped.

As the traffic was almost non-existent, we decided to carry on rather than turn back and walked the loop back home. On the way we spotted a field of cows and went to say hello. They were very friendly and they all crowded around the gate to see us. One of them even managed to lick my hand!



I've never known cows to be so friendly and inquisitive before and you could definitely tell who the boss cow was! She was very big and did quite a bit of mooing!

We continued on our way and just as I pointed out a plant that looked very much like Marijuana, a jogger ran past and laughed. Trust me! We arrived home at about 8am and the first priority was hot coffee and breakfast before showering. We then went over to Mum and Dad's house before heading for B&M in Kettering where I bought a roller tray and brushes, an extendable pole for doing over the shower enclosure and some bird food.

We popped into Aldi to get some wine and the newspaper and then it was off to the tip in Brixworth to take the old floor from the en-suite and the cracked shower panel. Mike called us as we drove so we collected him from the library - good timing for once!

Back home I made sandwiches and a big pot of tea before carrying on with the decorating using the emulsion roller. I have to admit it's a lot quicker using that rather than the brush and by 2pm I'd put on a second coat, leaving only a small patch above the shower which Keith and I will tackle tomorrow!

No comments: