Tuesday 6 September 2016

Getting sorted!

Sophie, Keith and I went for an early morning walk today and it felt lovely (even if I did feel a wee bit guilty) to see people rushing on their way to work while we were out enjoying the Autumnal sunshine.

We walked into the village and then down the track to the nature reserve before turning back and walking the same way home. It was a gorgeous morning and it was lovely to be out and about in the fresh air.

Sophie was back at work today so we took her in and then it was home to try and do some work on my counselling course. When we went back to collect Sophie she was really upset as she was told that the pay rise she'll get for working as assistant cook on a Saturday will now no longer be given to her, even though she was promised it. She was in tears all the way home and I said she could ring ACAS who could advise her if she could take it further. She was so angry about it as she'd only changed her day from Sunday to Saturday to get the higher wage, which is vital once she starts back at university in October.

She called ACAS who said she had a good case but Keith and I suggested that before she do anything she talk to her manager at work. Having a good rant about it calmed her down a bit and I just hope she manages to get it sorted out.

Mike had an appointment at the college at 5pm so Keith and I went with him. We left early as we weren't sure where to go and arrived in good time. I was very impressed with the college as it's almost brand new and very modern. The last time I was here was when I did an evening class in wine when Sophie was a baby and it's certainly changed since then! I couldn't help comparing it to the run-down and shabby school that Mike has just left and didn't feel so bad about him not going to sixth form!

We went over to a large hall where people were waiting to see tutors running the different courses and we initially waited in the A level queue. When it was our turn we had a chat with one of the tutors who suggested that instead of doing A Levels, Mike do a BTEC in Journalism and Public Relations as he was keen on writing and photography. We were introduced to the tutor who was a lovely lady called Hannah and Mike seemed really enthusiastic.

It was a huge relief to get him sorted and he needs to go back in tomorrow morning for an induction session. I was so impressed with the facilities and the courses on offer and wished it was me who was starting!

No comments: