Saturday 24 September 2016

Birthday celebrations!

Before Sophie went off to work this morning, Keith opened his cards and presents and was thrilled with what he received. We took Soph to work and then came home for a cup of coffee and a read of the newspapers in the conservatory. It felt lovely not to have to rush off anywhere! Sue popped around with some beer and a card for Keith so he did very well!

I did go and get some more diesel (that's £90 I've put in my car this week!) and then called to see Mum on the way home. My Dad is in Llandudno this weekend on a model aeroplane flying trip so it's the first time Mum has been in her new home on her own.

She was in the garden weeding the border and was glad to stop and have a coffee and a chat with me. I recommended two TV programmes to keep her occupied in the evening - "One of Us", an excellent drama about a double murder, and "The Outlaws", a hilarious Belgian black comedy, also about a murder which we really enjoyed.

I returned home where I made a start on my own front garden and did far more that I intended. I strimmed the verge but then decided to cut back our Hypericum bush which is massively overgrown. I raked up all the cuttings and thousands of leaves which were lurking under the bush and I was out there for almost three hours. It was very sociable, though, as I chatted to a lady who lives nearby who was walking with her adorable little granddaughter, and Paul came past with the doggies. They are having a lot of work done in their garden at the moment and have a team of workmen laying some new turf.

I was also surprised and really pleased to see Gill, our ex-neighbour, who zoomed up in her sporty little Mini for a chat. She was on her way to pick up her daughter from a friend's house and we had a long chat, which was lovely. I do miss her as a neighbour! Just after Gill left Keith arrived home from watching Sileby play and I finished the garden to go and prepare the vegetables for dinner. Keith had made a beef casserole in the morning and I had switched on our slow cooker at 4pm to start cooking it. It smelt delicious!

No sooner had we finished preparing the veg, Sophie called to be picked up. I went off to collect her leaving Keith to watch the football. He had decided to record the Newcastle game and watch it later so was enjoying the Arsenal-Chelsea match instead!

When Sophie and I arrived home we opened the sparkling wine and I played cards with the kids until it was time to eat. I made some dumplings and the meal was delicious. I think Keith has had a great Birthday!

No comments: