Thursday 21 July 2016

Summer bliss?

I sometimes do wonder if I actually like the summer as it can be very annoying! The heat we've had over the last couple of days has been horrible and we are not geared up for it at all in this country. It's fine if you're on holiday and have a lovely pool to swim in and an air-conditioned house but our homes, with their thick carpets and soft furnishings seem to soak up the heat and make the house sweltering!

As we've had the windows and doors open over the last couple of days, and yesterday was quite breezy in the evening, the outside has come inside. This morning I let Keith go and do the shopping as the house was in a complete mess and I had to do a big clean-up! The conservatory was full of tiny brown leaves which come from a nearby tree and they were everywhere! All over the sofas, the cushions, the books and the floor. Flies had become stuck in cobwebs along the top of the conservatory and other ones were buzzing constantly when they had found their way indoors.

Our back lawn is covered in leaves and bark from the Eucalyptus tree and it looks a complete mess! Argh! I know I shouldn't be such a moaning minny as I would be the first to complain if the weather was cool and rainy, but there is a price to pay for hot and sunny weather!

Anyway, enough complaining...at least it's been a bit cooler today so I was able to clean the downstairs of the house while Keith shopped. There was no point doing upstairs as the workmen were up and down and in and out so I did what I could and was pleased that when I finished the house looked a bit more acceptable!

The en-suite is coming along nicely...I'm very relieved the tiles and the shower panels match!




Sophie was at work as usual and Mike went off to Brixworth so Keith and I managed to get a fair bit done, including changing the beds and ironing. I'm just glad it was a bit cooler! When it was time to collect Sophie from work I called into the Co-op at Moulton and bought Maureen some flowers to thank her for baking Mum and Dad's cake, which went down very well with her. We had a lovely hug and I know she still misses us working there.

The schools seem to have broken up now for the summer break but as Mike's been off since early June there was none of that "end of term" feeling that I normally get! I just hope that he is able to stay on into the Sixth form!

Keith and I went to the pub in the evening for just a couple of drinks and sat in our usual spot in the window. The village was very busy with cars coming and going and it was very pleasant indeed to sit there and watch the world go by!

No comments: