Sunday 3 July 2016

Not-so-slasher Keith strikes again!

After dropping Sophie off at work Keith and I decided to take advantage of the fine weather and do some gardening. I tackled the front verge (without slashing through the cable) while Keith brought out the big guns and tidied up some bushes with his hedge-trimmer. Outside of the front of our house it was really quite hot so I worked up a fair bit of perspiration by pulling up weeds and sweeping away all the dead leaves that like to accumulate along the kerb.

Once that was done I joined Keith in the back garden where he had left a whole load of foliage everywhere. He then suggested that we ask Mike to help us with the Virginia Creeper that has crept up to the eaves of the house again. Mike duly obliged and went up the ladder with a pair of shears to cut it down. He did a good job and managed to avoid cutting through the television and satellite cables!

One things that has worried me is that our little robin seems to have disappeared. Normally he is out in the garden with us in seconds but even though I did a bit of digging and put some fat snax out, he is nowhere to be seen. We have loads of sparrows at the moment (babies and parents) the dratted Starlings are still about and Rooky continues to visit us but no little red-breasted bird at all. It's very sad.

I stayed out in the garden for a while and tidied up after Keith's strimming frenzy. He was actually quite restrained today, though, and the shrubs at the back of the garden now look very tidy and neat. I mowed up all the dead Eucalyptus leaves and when I'd finished I was very happy.

Keith went inside to watch the Grand Prix and when it had finished we went to get my car washed as I just hadn't the energy to do it myself and it was very dirty. We've had so much rain lately that it hasn't been worth washing but I'm hoping we're going to get a few days of dry weather over the next week. We called to see Sophie on the way home and I took her a Snickers bar as a treat. She looked hot, poor thing, but said it had been quiet all day, probably due to the warm and sunny weather.

In the evening Keith and I cooked chicken Kiev rather than the pie we'd planned. I'm hoping that from now on we can embrace summer food, rather than winter stodge!

No comments: