Saturday 16 July 2016

Anniversary celebrations!

After a very lazy start to the day Sophie and I went over to Beckworth Emporium in the afternoon to get Mum and Dad a present from the children. I also wanted to get some olives to go with our sparking wine later in the day.

Beckworth was predictably busy with a lot of people queuing up for afternoon tea. As I'd made some raspberry and chocolate muffins I steered Sophie away from the cafe and we concentrated on finding something for my parents. As the present was from Sophie and Mikey, my daughter chose the gift and we settled on a beautiful, wooden, heart-shaped mirror for their garden.

The food at Beckworth was a bit on the pricey side so after choosing a Hydrangea to fill an empty garden pot we drove to the Co-op in Moulton and I bought some olives and a couple of snacks for lunch. We went home and all four of us sat in the garden as it was a warm, yet overcast day.  I was hoping the sun would make an appearance but although we saw occasional glimpses of blue sky, the sun remained hidden behind the thick cloud. It was very humid and I wasn't looking forward to getting ready in the evening!

Sophie and I drove over to pick my parents up at 6pm and before bringing them home for glasses of bubbly and nibbles we admired their new tree standing proudly in the middle of their lawn. The sky was looking very ominous by now and I was surprised we didn't have a storm.

The taxi arrived at just after 7pm and we trundled off to Northampton accompanied by some oldies on the radio! A great choice for a 50th Wedding Anniversary! My parents had booked a table at Sophia's restaurant for 8pm and the place was already bustling with diners. Our table had been decorated with balloons and streamers which was a lovely touch.

We sat and perused the menu and I chose the chicken liver pate to start followed by Sophie's recommendation of the escalope with spaghetti. I also chose to have some vegetables as well, which were extra. Various other meals included pizza, lamb cutlets, garlic bread, and Sea Bass which my Dad enjoyed very much. We had a couple of bottles of Italian wine to accompany the meal and all of us except Dad had dessert.

As it was a warm evening it was also very warm in the restaurant as the place was packed and it's not a large seating area to start with. After we'd had our main courses the waiter came over and, to the delight of my parents, produced a beautiful cake that Maureen had made. She had mentioned a couple of weeks ago and I was thrilled that she had visited the restaurant earlier to deliver it!


We had a lovely evening with excellent service and hospitality and it was great to be driven home by a taxi. He had more old songs playing and this time everyone sang along so it was a much rowdier ride home than on the way there!

50 years together!!


Back home it was heaven to get changed into our lounge-about clothes and sit in the garden for a little while. We lit a garden torch and admired the stars...bliss!

No comments: