Monday 19 October 2015

Works outing!

Today has dawned grey and drizzly again and those beautiful sunny days seem a distant memory now.

After dropping the kids off this morning Keith and I decided to go for a walk and took the route past Mum and Dad's house, along the single track road and through Walgrave again. I felt a bit reluctant to go at first but after half an hour I was glad I did. The drizzle stopped and the sun did try and come out but the cloud was very heavy. At least it wasn't cold! When we got home, and after showering, we drove the route and it's exactly three and a half miles, so a nice easy walk.

Later in the morning we went off to Booker and then Boots before going home for lunch of toasted sandwiches. I was glad we weren't tempted to go to Costa Coffee!

In the evening Sophie and I got ready to go out to dinner with Maureen, Polly and Ricky from work. We picked my parents up at 7pm and drove to The Fox and Hounds at Harlestone as yesterday I'd called in and booked a table.

Maureen, Polly and Ricky were already there and it was great to see them again as I haven't called into work for a while. Although I pick Sophie up it pulls at the heart strings a bit when I go inside as it brings it home to me that it's not my business any more.

We had a great chat and heard all the latest news. I have a feeling that they miss us as things seem a lot more complicated with the new company and Polly, in particular, is working much longer hours, which she's not really that happy about. Next week is half term and if the weather continues to be grey and drizzly they could be very busy.

It took us ages to choose from the menu as we were all chatting but eventually I chose Beech mushrooms to start which were served in a white wine and black garlic sauce with a poached egg balanced on top. The dish was much more like a soup so very difficult to eat with a knife and fork! Maureen chose the same as me and in the end we had to ask the waiter for two spoons!


Maureen and Polly

Sophie and Ricky

For my main course I chose a corned beef hash served with roasted new potatoes and a big pile of winter greens but I couldn't finish as I was full. I'd snacked on lovely bread, olives and dips before the meal and had pinched a slice of Sophie's starter of garlic pizzette to mop up the juices from the mushrooms, so after offering some to my daughter I pushed my plate away.

I declined dessert but the others enjoyed liqueur coffees and Mum tucked into a slice of warm chocolate brownie. I made do with a cup of camomile tea served with a little toffee which was just right!

Sophie and Mum had shared a bottle of white wine...you can tell by this photo:


We all had a lovely time and it was great to catch up with Maureen, Polly and Ricky who all worked very hard and deserved to be taken out for a meal as a thank you. I really hope we get to do it again soon!

No comments: