Thursday 22 October 2015

Planning!

While I was showering this morning I came up with what I thought was a great idea for my forthcoming Come Dine With Me evening. I thought that after our main course, we could all go into our garage and pretend it was a shelter while I played a sound recording of an air raid siren and bombs being dropped outside. I'll make it very cosy in there with a heater, candles and a blackout curtain up at the door and we could sit in there for a little while before we go back and enjoy our dessert.

I thought it would certainly add something to the dinner and make it more like an evening in the 1940s. I ordered a CD from Amazon featuring speeches from Winston Churchill and various songs along with some replica documents from wartime, including ration books and an identity book. Whilst looking on Youtube I also found a sound recording starting with an air raid siren and then about five minutes of the sound of bombs being dropped, which was very moving indeed. I can't imagine what it would have been like for people to have experienced that, as my grandparents did, listening to the air raid outside and wondering if they had a home to return to.

Keith and Sophie also thought it was a great idea and I decided I'd dress up as a 1940s housewife with a dress and an old-fashioned apron while my daughter does victory rolls in my hair. I'm really looking forward to it!

Sophie had another appointment today, this time at the opticians and luckily everything with her eyes was fine, despite her saying she thought that her eyes had become a bit worse. She didn't need new glasses which was a relief and her next appointment will be in 2 years. No doubt the time will fly!

I dropped her off at university and returned home to find that the washing machine man had been and had found nothing wrong with our machine. We put a wash on, wrote out the menu for the week and sped off to Tesco to do our weekly shop.

In the evening Sue came over for a glass of wine and I poured a delicious bottle of Spanish red into the beautiful decanter that I'd received free with my Laithwaites wine order. Sue brought cheese and biscuits so we feasted on them while Sophie prepared dinner on her own in the kitchen. Keith did hover about trying to help but the meal she prepared - chicken served with thinly sliced potatoes and asparagus was delicious. Bravo, Sophie! Now we'll expect her to do it again...and soon, I hope!

No comments: