Monday 26 October 2015

Bunking off!

Today Sophie decided to have a day off university and assured me that she could easily catch up. We planned on watching some recorded programmes in the afternoon after I'd cleaned the house in the morning.

Mike went off to see his mates in Brixworth and on the way home, Sophie drove the car. It was a beautiful sunny day and lovely and dry so perfect conditions for her to practise. She did very well but I advised against driving around the estate as they were children playing (it's October half term this week).

When we arrived back I carried on with the cleaning and the washing machine repair man arrived. He spent a fair while having a look at it and said there was a tiny leak in the drainage hose and that the heater wasn't working properly. He estimated it would be out of use until Friday! Arrrggghh! Our laundry bin is now full and overflowing which I hate! There's nothing worse than having dirty washing hanging about so tomorrow I'll have to take some up to Mum's.

At lunchtime I promised Sophie I'd take her to McDonald's as a treat so we dropped Keith off on the way so he could go for a walk and we drove over to the restaurant near the Weston Favell centre. Rather than sit in the horrible car park we stopped on the way home and we saw three crows who looked at us both very intently... I threw some chips onto the ground and the boldest of the three (obviously the male) flew down to pick one up and gave us another look, almost as if he recognised us and our voices.

They stayed around until Sophie had finished her lunch and we threw some more chips down before driving slowly away. The three of them swooped down immediately and it was good to see them having a little bit of a meal. I miss my work crows very much and although I feed sparrows, blue tits and my little robin in the garden I did love to see the crows on a daily basis.

Back home we had an afternoon of catching up with our programmes and it felt very indulgent to sit and watch television. I made a fish pie in the evening in between picking Mike up from Brixworth and collecting Keith from the pub!


No comments: