Wednesday 7 October 2015

A bit of culture...

Today Keith, Sophie and I went off to Stratford upon Avon as Keith had arranged to meet his mate Malcolm, whom he hadn't seen for ages.

We set off on a different route to the one we normally use to get to the Warwickshire town and sped through some beautiful countryside, eventually using the ancient Fosse Way to get to Stratford. The weather had been a bit drizzly when we left and although the sun never made an appearance, it did stay dry, which was a relief.

We said goodbye to Keith and went to Cox's Yard for a well-earned cup of coffee. It was very quiet in there and it was lovely to sit and relax for half an hour over a Flat White and a muffin. From the cafe we walked into the town but there were no entertainers about today and certainly no crowds of people sitting in the sun! Everyone was well wrapped up in coats although it was still mild.

We had a quick look in an Oxfam bookshop and then wandered around a beautiful gallery admiring the different paintings and sculptures. It's something I don't normally do but it was very enjoyable. Luckily nothing I saw caught my eye...some of the art was selling for thousands of pounds!

Leaving the gallery we went to H&M and then Waterstones as I was looking for a recipe book from World War II for my Come Dine With Me evening next month. There was nothing available so we decided to go and have a bite to eat at a lovely little place called No 37 Cafe. Sophie chose a panini while I opted for a slice of quiche and salad and both dishes were great. I certainly felt stuffed when we walked out to go and meet Keith!

He'd had a great time with Malcolm and was in good spirits when we left to drive home. As usual we found a different route home but like a moth to a flame, we were drawn to Leamington Spa once again. I don't know what it is about this town but I always manage to do a circuit every time we visit Stratford!


No comments: