Sunday 25 October 2015

Sunlight through the trees...

As today dawned sunny and dry we decided to retrace our footsteps of yesterday and do the same walk again this morning.

We retrieved our boots from the conservatory where we'd kept them all night stuffed with newspaper to dry them out and set off. It was a gorgeous morning and the sunlight through the Autumn leaves was particularly lovely. We saw loads of pheasants who ran, rather than flew, away as we approached! They are silly birds!




We took a slightly different route to yesterday in an attempt to see some deer but we only saw the aforementioned pheasants and some squirrels. We did spot a weird thing in the undergrowth that turned out to be a wedding balloon that had come down in the reserve. From a distance it looked like an alien egg!

When we arrived back home we went to get the papers and to collect Keith's car and then I spent the rest of the morning preparing the lamb hot pot for our evening meal. I peeled all the veg for dinner and then cut up the lamb steaks and prepared carrots, onions and leeks for the pot. By the time it was all ready it was time to have a shower and then pick up my Mum who was coming to Homesense with us. I was shattered!

We drove to St James Retail park and first stop was the cafe in BHS as I was gasping for a cup of tea and a cake. The cafe was very quiet but the floor was filthy and it could have done with a good scrub, to be honest! They were advertising Christmas cakes, mince pies and other seasonal treats but I just can't bring myself to sample a mince pie this early! Surely it has to be left until after Halloween and Bonfire Night? Very soon we'll be urged to think about Christmas in the middle of summer!

We had a mooch about BHS and Mum bought some bedding before we went off to Homesense who had some wonderful Scandinavian style Christmas decorations. I was tempted, I have to admit, but I resisted! I did find an apron, though, that will be great for my 40s Come Dine With Me evening. It's a vintage frilly one so should look great teamed with a 40s style dress.

Back home it was a relief to pop the hot pot into the oven and sit and relax for a couple of hours. I was so glad I'd done all the preparation earlier!

No comments: