Saturday 3 January 2015

Goodbye to Christmas

I had a busy day ahead of me today as we'd decided to take down all the Christmas decorations and do some much needed cleaning. Tomorrow is ear-marked for a day in Milton Keynes so we would be out for most of the day. With Keith, I took the tree down in the living room and gave everything a really good clean. And boy! did it need it!

I pulled out all the furniture and we carefully cleaned behind the television which was thick with dust and cobwebs... Luckily, the TV stayed tuned in which was a relief as Keith was watching sport in between helping me! I even found an empty (thankfully!) packet of Cheddars behind the small shelving unit which houses all our DVDs, most of which were also covered in dust!

It felt very good to give the downstairs rooms a good clean but we have decided that we desperately need new carpets and a new sofa for the living room and the window-sill is badly in need of a fresh coat of gloss. I attempted to scrub the sofa seats but all I did was make them very wet so I had to use a hair-dryer to try and dry them out before Keith sat down! Hopefully, we'll get everything done at some point this year!

Sophie suggested we go and have a coffee in the afternoon so we both showered and I drove to Riverside which was heaving with people. We visited Boots first and then Sophie treated me to a cup of tea and a cornflake crunch cake in Costa Coffee. It was lovey to have a break from cleaning for half an hour!

When we got home we had to put two thick towels on the sofa so we could sit in comfort without getting wet bums! Keith cooked a delicious roast turkey tonight for dinner and I watched a great programme about singers competing to take part in a Frank Sinatra centenary show. Some of the young people taking part were fantastic singers and I could have sat and listened to them all night!

No comments: