Saturday 11 October 2014

Ahhh! The weekend arrives!

It was great to wake up this morning and realise it was the weekend as Sophie wasn't working and we'd planned on going to Market Harborough (or Mo'ket Harborough as it will be known in November) for a mooch about the shops and lunch.

We dropped Mikey off at his friend's house in Brixworth and then I made a Smoked Salmon pate as this has replaced the Scotch Broth as a starter for next Saturday night. It was very easy and Keith and I tried a little bit with an oatcake, both of us agreeing that it was delicious and much better than my original choice of soup.

At midday, Sophie and I set off for Market Harborough under an ominous sky. Showers had been forecast for today but after a misty start to the day, the sun had come out and it had remained dry. Looking at the sky over Leicestershire, though, we regretted not bringing our umbrella!

We ate lunch at Starbucks for a change and then I shopped for some items I needed for my Scottish evening, namely whisky tumblers, ramekin dishes for the pate and tartan napkins, all of which I found! I also bought a box of Whisky liqueurs in the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, to go with the coffee!

Sophie bought a pair of jeans and some boots in New Look and then we ran to Duncan's to escape the sudden downpour. Megan, his wife, was doing her duty with the tasting - a Portugese white, a Rioja and a bottle of Port. Both of us liked the white but at £17.99 I balked at the price! The Rioja was a little on the dry side and I liked the Port but I had other things in mind to buy and Port was not one of them! I chose two bottles of Southern French red and Duncan encouraged me to try two of his peaty whiskies. One was extremely peaty and as someone who likes that sort of taste in a whisky, I was impressed, but I found it a little too much! I already have a Talisker and a lightly peated Jura so I wasn't about to buy any more, but it was nice to try!

After Duncan's we headed home and I spent a very pleasant hour watching the last episode of the current series of Who Do You Think You Are, with Twiggy. Her family had a bit of a rough time, with crime and the workhouse featuring very much in her family tree.

After we picked Mikey up from his friend's house Keith and I went to the pub for a quick drink before dinner. The evenings are getting so dark now but it was lovely and cosy in the pub with the fairy lights in the alcove all lit up.

Back home, we had my pate to start, followed by chicken curry and very good it was, too!

No comments: