Saturday 14 December 2013

Arras Christmas Market

After a so-so night's sleep (I never sleep well in a strange bed, although the Premier Inn beds are wonderful) we were up at 6am and getting ready. Our ferry was leaving at 8.25am so we had to be in the port 45 minutes beforehand. I managed to set the smoke alarm off in our room when I was blow-drying my hair as I caught some hairs in the motor inside and they sizzled a bit! Ouch! Mum and Dad heard the noise from their room a bit further along the hall and wondered what on earth was going on!

It was looking to be a gorgeous day and we made it to the port within five minutes. However, we were selected for an extra security check so I had to drive into a huge shed and open the bonnet and boot while an official quizzed me about where I was going and had anyone given me anything to take abroad? That completed we checked in and within a very short time we were boarding the P&O Pride of Canterbury for the 90 minute crossing.

It wasn't the most pleasant of journeys I've had! The boat was very busy indeed (Duty Free was rammed!) and we found it difficult to find a place to sit once we'd left the restaurant where we'd had breakfast. There was also a strange smell pervading the ship (unwashed bodies, I'm afraid) that was really off-putting! For once, I wished I'd decided to take the Shuttle!

However, we docked at Calais and the sun was shining, so that was great. I'd dreaded the weather being wet and horrible! It took us an hour to make the very easy trip down to Arras on the A26. The autoroute was almost empty - just a handful of cars and lorries using the road - so it was a very pleasant trip. The countryside along the way was very rural with occasional small villages dotted about, lots of woods and, in the distance, slag heaps, as this area of Northern France used to be an important area for mining.

We arrived in Arras at midday and followed signs for "Le Village de Noel" parking, which was free. It meant we had a short walk to the main marketplace but seeing all the cars streaming towards the centre made me realise we'd done the right thing!

The Christmas Market was taking place in the main square but radiating out from it was the busy Saturday market which finishes at 2pm. We grabbed a quick, very creamy and sweet, hot chocolate before having a look around the market stalls.







There seemed to be many more cabins here than the last time we visited a few years back. There was even a carousel and a big wheel! It wasn't too busy so we were able to walk around and have a good look at the cabins and all the goodies on offer, which included local produce, hot wine, beer and cider, jewellery, leather goods and Christmas decorations.

Mum bought some baubles for her tree while I bought a little soft Father Christmas to sit on the table in the living room along with two others I have.



As expected Sophie bought some jewellery and Dad treated himself to a glass of hot red wine with spices. While Sophie was buying some earrings, she managed to drop the lens cap of her camera, that she'd borrowed from school, and lose it under one of the cabins. We tried to retrieve it but it had completely disappeared so she was a bit upset as she feared her teacher would be angry with her. Luckily, while we were waiting for our table to be ready at Le Petit Rat Porteur restaurant, we found a photographic shop and I bought a replacement for 8 euros!

Before lunch at 2pm we walked around the other market square in Arras. The market was being packed up and street cleaners were whizzing around washing the cobblestones.






I'd booked a table at Le Petit Rat Porteur by email so they were ready for us and I'm glad we did because the restaurant was packed with people eating. We were seated in the cellar part of the restaurant which was lovely.



The waiters were very friendly even though it was busy and appreciated the few words of French I spoke! Sophie and I had Flemish beef stewed in beer while Mum went for the house special of Beef Bourgignon. Dad chose different types of fish served in a creamy sauce with boiled potatoes. The food was lovely and very plentiful! Us girls made room for dessert - creme brulee for Sophie and I while Mum couldn't resist Fondant au Chocolat! Delicious!

By the time we'd finished our meal the place had emptied out completely and they'd finished cooking. We paid the bill (93 euros) and left to wander around the Christmas market again. This time the place was completely packed with people who must have arrived while we were eating lunch! Mum and Dad took a slow walk back to the car while Sophie and I bought a few more bits and I chose four beers for Keith as I wasn't sure we would have time to get to Cite Europe as planned.


By now it was almost 4pm French time so we headed back to the car (the traffic was horrendous) and managed to get out of the town very easily. However, we somehow missed the turn for the A26 so we had a trip along country roads to the nearby town of Lens! Luckily, from there we were able to pick up the autoroute for Calais and I stopped at one of the very handy "aires" to affix the headlight convertors as it was now getting dark (one of them fell off en route to Calais!).

We arrived in Calais at 5pm and it was really too late to try and find Cite Europe as we had to be back at the port by 6pm to get our ferry. We were able to get an earlier ferry, The Pride of Burgundy (the same one we came back from Berlin on) and by 5.30pm we were boarding. We found some comfortable seats straight away and I did some shopping in Duty Free - whisky and vodka for me, chocs for Mikey - and then had a much needed coffee to keep me awake for the long journey home. In my absence a trio of drunks had taken up residence nearby and were steadily working their way through a case of St Omer beer. I just hoped they weren't taking charge of a vehicle after the voyage!

We had a fast and uneventful journey home and it was heaven to jump in the shower, put my dressing gown on and relax before bed!

No comments: