Monday 27 December 2010

Turkey curry day!

I woke up with a bad headache this morning which was probably caused by the new drink I invented last night - a blend of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry (bought for Nan) and Cava...I don't think I'll be drinking that again (I had a few glasses...).

After the wobbly start Keith and I ventured out to Tesco to pick up a few bits and it was surprisingly quiet. Maybe people are all shopped out! Back home we had pain au chocolat for breakfast and Keith prepared his famous turkey curry which is on the menu tonight. I'm very pleased with myself because we haven't thrown a lot of food away this Christmas. I made bubble and squeak last night which was delicious (if I may say so myself) and we ate it with slices of cold turkey and the leftover stuffing balls, sausages and roast potatoes. I think I enjoyed it more than our actual Christmas dinner!

Once the turkey was marinating in the Jalfrezi sauce we went off to the cinema to see Little Fockers which I'd been looking forward to very much. The review in the newspaper hadn't been glowing but I enjoyed it nonetheless, despite it not being as good as the first two (in my opinion). One thing that surprised and delighted us all was the trailer for the upcoming film The King's Speech starring Colin Firth (swoon) and Helena Bonham-Carter. Back in January of this year we stumbled upon a film or documentary being shot opposite Buckingham Palace in London and for ages we wondered what it was -well now we know as we saw the scene on the trailer!! I'm just mad I didn't see Colin Firth because that really would have made my day!! So, that's one to see when it opens here in the New Year!

Here is my recipe for bubble and squeak:


Take cold leftover vegetables such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, mashed potato, carrots etc (cabbage is very good as well) and chop finely. Mix together in a bowl and add two whisked eggs. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.

Heat some oil in a frying pan until hot and then empty the contents into the pan, patting it down firmly until it makes a cake. Leave it to cook for a few minutes to get all nice and crispy and brown and then place a large dinner plate over the top of the frying pan and flip it over. Slide the cake back into the pan so the other side is nice and crispy and brown. You can either keep doing this so both sides are evenly cooked or you can transfer the cake into a greased baking tin and let it cook for a further 20 minutes in the oven so the inside is piping hot. It's good to brush the top with a little melted butter or vegetable oil so it crisps up nicely. Serve with cold turkey and lots of HP Brown sauce. Yum!







No comments: