Thursday 23 December 2010

Christmas Eve's Eve

We know it's almost Christmas in our house when it's Christmas Eve's Eve, so the excitement is building. I was up early this morning as last night, just before dropping off to sleep, I suddenly remembered I hadn't locked our storage unit at work...All night I worried that our petrol lawn mower would be stolen, or worse, the thieves would douse the contents of the unit in petrol and then set fire to it, which would, in turn, set alight the unit next to it which we rent out to someone who restores old cars and then the resulting inferno would set the unit on the end ablaze. The people who rent this from us would have no insurance so would sue us, which would see us bankrupt, destitute and living on the street in cardboard boxes...

Needless to say when I drove into the car park this morning, my heart in my mouth, the place was untouched. Sometimes I think it's a good idea to have a vivid imagination, sometimes not...

The rest of the day passed smoothly. I am now in possession of a 14 pound turkey which is sitting snugly in our outside fridge, surrounded by bottles of beer. Keith's favourite tipple is on special in Tesco at the moment and he can't pass the aisle without buying some, chuckling away at the pennies he's saving.

So now I'm all set for the big day! All the presents have been bought, the food is all stored safely away (including the Brussels sprouts) and my favourite day, Christmas Eve, is tomorrow. I'm off work until next Tuesday but do have to do one thing in the morning which is go and give blood. I'm really, really hoping that instead of biscuits, there'll be mince pies to build up our strength before we go and celebrate!

No comments: