Sunday 26 December 2010

Boxing Day walk

I love Boxing Day. It's a time to relax after the hard work of the day before (that's unless you're lucky enough to be invited somewhere else for Christmas lunch!) and there's all the delicious leftovers to eat! Yesterday was a success but it was hard work. My parents came around at about 4.30pm and we opened presents with a glass of Cava. I'd prepared prawn cocktail for a starter as my Nan loves that and we ate it a good hour before the main course so we wouldn't feel too full!

For our main meal we had roast turkey (I often toy with the idea of having goose but I'm always over-ruled) with the usual accompaniements of sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing, roast and mashed potatoes, roast parsnips, brussels, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and green beans.Getting it all ready at the same time and keeping it hot is a real challenge! Luckily we have a second small oven that we used for the extras but it took ages to heat up and things started to get a bit panicky! But all was well in the end and it was heaven to serve my dad's Tiramisu for dessert (which was gorgeously creamy) and relax! So that's it all over until next year - maybe I can arrange for someone else to cook it next year!

We had a very lazy morning today although I was up at 6am again. I did try and go back to sleep but I was wide awake so I went downstairs and made coffee. Keith was up watching the cricket so we had a very relaxing couple of hours before the children woke up.

In the afternoon we set off into the snowy countryside and had a wonderful walk over the fields. Today (because I was dressed in my scruffs) we met lots of people who had the same idea. Sunny dry days are a bonus at this time of the year and the landscape was looking particularly beautiful. We walked down to the Nature reserve and then up a snowy track to the village looking at all the animal tracks in the snow. There were lots of rabbit tracks, a fox (we think) and bird tracks all using the same paths along the edges of the fields. The sky was a blend of smoky blues, greys and apricot with the bare trees standing out against the luminous sky. I took lots of photos and it was bliss to be out in the fresh air as the sunset drew near.

Just before we got  home we met our neighbour, Sarah, who was walking a very eager Max. She told us she had 10 for lunch yesterday which I think was very brave! There was seven of us and that was enough! She must be a sucker for punishment as she and Liam are also hosting a New Year's Eve party which we're all invited to, and I'm looking forward to that very much!

No comments: