Thursday 23 September 2010

Stress!

Yesterday and today I went into work with Keith, rather than leaving home at 7.30am and getting into work nice and early. It was a big mistake! Getting in early gives me a chance to do everything that needs to be done at a leisurely pace rather than rushing around like a headless chicken which is what I've been doing the last two days! As is always the way when I'm in on my own I had customers coming at me from all directions...on the phone to book a party, in person at Reception and then waiting in the restaurant for me to serve them bloomin' coffee when I could have done with one myself (with a large slug of whisky added!).

Added to all that I had two staff from the Nursery moaning and wailing at me about how much work they have and what could I do about it? It's a good thing I was brung up properly or I would have said something very rude! Because of that I spent most of the morning on the phone to Recruitment agencies trying to get some more staff. We have three fully qualified Nursery nurses on maternity leave at the moment and we just can't cope. Hopefully, after my phone calls we can get something arranged and soon!

The rest of the day calmed down considerably until the evening when the rushing about started again. I really have myself to blame as I had to go back to Tesco's and buy Keith Birthday cards for tomorrow when I had already been in the shop in the morning, but had forgotten... Sophie and I went and spent a silly ten minutes reading all the terrible cards for sale, most of which were just plain horrible and not suitable for Keith! He had said he wanted slippers from me (groan) but the ones on offer in Tesco were cheap and nasty so I made a hurried phone call to mum who was in Milton Keynes to ask her to buy some for me...

We then rushed home, I wrapped his presents from the children (trilogies from Len Deighton) and then Sophie and I made a trip to the hairdressers. The ends of my hair were becoming very ratty so it was long overdue. Sophie had a fair bit cut off and I had an overwhelming urge to tell the man cutting my hair to lop the lot off...luckily I restrained myself and now I'm glad I did. Ending the day as a shorn sheep would really have added to the stress!

No comments: