Thursday 2 September 2010

Back to school!

It's been a bit busy here over the last couple of days. The children went back to school today and I had to take my car in to the mechanics yet again, this time because of brake pads. It's so ironic as I mentioned to Keith in France that the car felt really good and I'd feel comfortable about taking her right down to the south of France again! Ho hum!

Mum and Dad had a well deserved day off today so Keith came into work with me which was great. Things are back to normal! I had another sneaky look at Genes Reunited and found out some more about my ancestors. It turns out that my Great Great Grandfather was a "Licensed Victualler" who ran The Lamb Inn in Stone, near Dartford. The pub is no more which is a shame, but it's still worth a look the next time we go to see Nan. She was able to give me the information that helped me piece it all together but what is really confusing is the names! It appears that children were given the name of the father and grandfather (and mother) so I have lots of Williams and Fredericks to contend with and I keep getting confused! The censuses are brilliant, though, and have helped enormously. I now need to find out who was my Great great great grandfather, probably born in the late 1700s. It's been a lot of fun but I don't recommend looking at it all just before bed...it took me ages to get to sleep last night as my brain was whirring through all the information I'd found out!

I still need to do something with the header photo...I want a lovely forest scene I took a couple of years ago, so I'll have another try, this time when I'm not so tired!

No comments: