Sunday 12 September 2010

Hunting high and low...

Well, we still haven't found the Family Tree so for now we've given up. Sometimes, when you stop thinking about a problem, the solution will appear. Keith went up into the loft this morning which was a mistake as I asked him to bring me down some old diaries and photo albums - stuff I've been trying to throw out! The diaries (from 1984-1987) were hilarious and the frightening thing is that I haven't really changed much since my late teens! Sophie read them as well and thought they were really funny but she was amazed at my blase attitude to school work. Oh, how I wished I'd worked harder at school!

The female trio went out in the afternoon. Mikey had gone flying with my Dad and had a go with one of the training aeroplanes at the club so he was happy. Us females (leaving Keith to watch the cricket and football) went off to Weedon and I bought a box to store the aforementioned diaries and a cookery book, 200 Easy Suppers! I had a good browse in the cook shop and almost bought a French bean cutter but thought better of it in the end. I also learned I could buy replacement handles for my Le Creuset saucepans which must be almost 20 years old. A couple of them have burnt handles but the shop supplies new handles so I just need to make sure they will fit! I also have all my Christmas presents sorted now...in one of the shops was a range of the tackiest tat I've ever seen...little grey pebbles with inscriptions saying "I Love You" or "We are Family" and featuring plastic silver hedgehogs or rabbits. At £3.99 they were an absolute bargain for giving to someone you loathe...

On the way home I mused to mum over the habit we have of keeping things, like Birthday and Christmas cards, useless ornaments and general clutter. Our house looks like we're moving at the moment, even though we're not! There are piles of books stacked up in the bedroom and storage boxes in the living room. I'm just really hoping that the car boot sale is on next week otherwise I think I'll have a few words flung at me from Keith who is not very good with clutter. I have a feeling if I don't do something soon, I'll come home to find everything gone!

No comments: