Friday 21 May 2010

Solitude

I'm never on my own. The last time I had any time to myself was last December when Keith took Sophie to the school concert to see Mikey in his play. I'd been the night before with mum and it was bliss to just sit and watch something on TV (Kirsty Allsop if I remember rightly) and not have someone go off into a grouch because they wanted to watch something or constantly interrupt to ask for something to eat, drink, help with homework or generally be an irritant.

Tonight Sophie is off to a friend's for a sleepover and I hinted that Michael might like to go to the pub with Keith and play in the garden or call for one of his friends who live in the village. I'd just settled down to watch a Swedish film (no...not one of those!) on Sky Anytime and the phone rang. Apparently Mikey was bored and wanted to come home...

As he was on his bike, I had to manoeuvre my car out of the driveway, get Keith's out (which is an estate) and drive off to the village, muttering swear words as I went. At the pub, the whole village was out to watch me do a hundred point turn in the car park and then struggle to get the blasted bike in the back. I think that
everyone who was sitting outside merrily having a drink in the evening sunshine got the impression that I was seriously p****d off...

Back home, I settled back to watch the film and was interrupted twice by Mikey firing questions at me about the computer...GRRR!

Don't get me wrong...I would hate to be on my own all the time, bearing in mind it will happen one day, but is a couple of hours too much to ask for? To be able to watch what I want, or play music really loudly, or just sit in the silence and read? Oh well...

One good thing though...tonight Keith will repair to Sophie's bed and we'll both get a good night's sleep!!!

No comments: