Thursday 28 March 2024

Storm Nelson

Sophie said to me this morning that the wind and rain were scary in the night. At 3.30am, she thought our roof was going to come off! Storm Nelson is a Spanish storm but it's due to affect the UK today. I looked at the weather forecast for Lisbon for this weekend and was just glad we hadn't picked this week to go! It's set to be wet and stormy!

I had a busy shift at work, dealing with emails and had to send one out to 150 people. We are so careful about GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) rules and I had to make very sure I BCC'd the email addresses! I was so glad when it was done!

At 2pm I left, looking forward to having three days off. The weather was wet and windy, and there'd been an accident on the road leading up to the Holcot/Sywell roundabout involving three cars. One car was missing an entire wheel, so I have no idea what had caused that, but it must have just happened as the people were standing about and making calls on their phones. 

My Mum had called while I was at work, so when I arrived home I phoned her. She wasn't keen on going out in the terrible weather and we postponed again, saying I would see her on Easter Sunday and bring over some goodies.

The cats were in the conservatory on the sofa and I closed the door as the rainwater was all over the floor. I pootled about doing some little jobs and the rain stopped, so I let them both out again. However, after about half an hour it started to come down really hard and I tried to get them in again. Mooney was no problem, but I had to shout and shout for Gomez, who suddenly climbed over the gate and came zooming into the house! He was wet through, and I covered him with a towel to dry him, but he freaked out completely! He looked absolutely terrified and I wondered what had happened to him in the past to provoke a reaction like that? There is a large gap between them being born at the end of March and our adoption in October, and I do often wonder where they were.

Keith was keeping an eye on the football fixtures for this evening as Sileby were due to play Moulton. Sileby games have been frequently postponed in the past, and with the weather, I couldn't believe it hadn't been called off!

Sophie and I were looking forward to a Tesco Finest meal with some leftover pasta and garlic bread and a bottle of Rosé for dinner, and we decided to watch Michael Palin's Himalaya. As the evening wore on, the weather became even worse with torrential rain and gusty winds. Outside, the road had started to flood with all the rain coming down. 

Keith kept updating the fixtures page and until about 7.15pm the game, unbelievably, was still on. However, just as he finished donning his coat, hat, scarf and shoes, the game was postponed. He was so annoyed he threw his hat across the room! Why it hadn't been called off earlier in the evening, I'll never know!

No comments: