Saturday 30 March 2024

Chasing cats!

We had a relaxed morning pootling about (I coloured my hair) and at lunchtime, said goodbye to Sophie who was going to spend the weekend with Vikesh. Keith and I drove into town and visited The Malt Shovel again, but this time we were dismayed to find the pub wasn't doing food other than Cornish pasties and bar snacks (peanuts, crisps, etc). I think this will be the last time we visit this particular pub! I used to love the food they did, and we were both disappointed that we had to go and find somewhere else for lunch.

We had one drink and headed for The Lamplighter. We parked in the nearby multi-storey as all the parking around the pub is for permit holders. It's been a gorgeous Spring day today, with plentiful sunshine and blue skies dotted with white fluffy clouds. I don't think it's going to last, though!

The Lamplighter was quiet, and we took a seat at the back of the pub overlooking the little outdoor area.


I chose a hamburger for lunch, while Keith opted for the steak and ale pie. The food was very good, as it always is, but the place was so quiet for a Saturday lunchtime. They were advertising live music in the evening and most of the tables were reserved for later.

It was great to sit and chat and we left at about 3pm and headed home. Sophie and Vikesh had left for their Airbnb so we arrived home to an empty house. Mooney rushed in but there was no sign of Gomez who was obviously loving being outside in the sunshine!

I watched the Boat Race and was disappointed to see Cambridge win. For some reason, I've always supported Oxford but Cambridge took the lead and never gave it up. While Keith watched the Newcastle-West Ham game from earlier in the day, I went upstairs and finally saw a couple more episodes of Too Good To Be True. 

Throughout the evening, we tried to get both cats in but they were reluctant to give up their freedom. I looked out of the front window at one point to see what looked like a large rolled-up hedgehog which, on closer inspection, was actually a cat. As I went over, Mooney appeared and ran off towards the houses at the front of the estate and then I saw Gomez. Neither of them would come near us so we gave up, knowing they weren't far away! Even Keith kneeling on the road and offering treats didn't work! Little monkeys!

No comments: