Sunday 5 November 2023

Unwrapping memories

Thankfully, I wasn't up so late this morning and I surfaced at about 8am. The horses going past the house woke Sophie, and when she was up, I made baked banana porridge for breakfast as a treat, adding some cream to the dish as an indulgence!

Sophie was busy this morning unpacking, and we did a mound of laundry from her holiday. The weather has been a lot better today, and it was lovely to see the blue sky!

In the afternoon, I went to collect my Mum as I wanted her to go through the ornaments and pictures I'd brought back from the warehouse last week. I hadn't opened any of the boxes, so after buying some little cakes to go with a cup of tea, we returned home and I sat her down at the table in the conservatory to go through everything.

I think she found it a little overwhelming, to be honest, but I needed to know what to keep and what to give away. I would estimate that over half of the items she didn't even remember she had, and three-quarters of it she didn't want! Opening the large box where I'd put the ornaments was a bit like a mix of Pass the Parcel and Christmas! I'd wrapped the fragile ornaments in newspaper in September 2020, so it was interesting to read the headlines of the paper from then. There was a lot of mention of the Rule of 6!

We put the items into three categories - keep, try and sell, or give to charity. Some of the pictures I knew my Dad wanted, such as one of his own photographs of Snowden and another Rob Piercy picture of the same mountain.

We took Mum back, and with us, came the pictures and a box of ornaments that she could unpack and place where she wanted. Dad was over the moon with the pictures, so that was good. I now need to do something with the rest in the conservatory!

We had a quiet evening and sat down with a glass of wine before dinner to watch Help! We Bought a Village. Keith cooked roast chicken for dinner, which was delicious and better than I'd expected!

No comments: