Thursday 2 November 2023

Bonus free time!

I wasn't at work today as I'd arranged to go back to Bells in Leicester to open up the crates we had stored and decide what to do with the furniture. Our appointment was at 9am so we were both up at 6.30am, ready to leave at 8am.

It was a blustery, grey day and typical Autumn weather. I had been awake at 2am this morning to hear the torrential rain and howling wind! Mike had told me he wasn't able to work today (he now has a landscaping job) as it was too dangerous - the Channel Islands and the south coast were due to bear the brunt of Storm CiarĂ¡n!

We decided to take the cross-country route to Lutterworth, but became stuck in the village of Walcote because of yet more roadworks! We were soon through and just as we were about to turn into the industrial estate where Bells is located, we hit more jams! We couldn't believe it!

We managed to get through eventually and arrived on the dot of 9am. We had to pay the invoice first (£140) but we had three porters helping us take everything out of the crates so we could decide what we wanted, what could possibly go to a charity, and what might end up being taken away by a house clearance company.

The men were incredibly helpful and the experience was a lot less stressful than I had anticipated. I expected to feel very emotional at seeing all my Mum and Dad's possessions after three years but it was really only the pictures we wanted, a couple of small tables, their computer and some ornaments. I photographed a lot of the furniture and it was all put back without any fuss. 

When we finished I drove the car into the warehouse and we loaded up the boot. Luckily, we managed to get it all in!

Nothing like the normal Lok 'n' Store!

I was able to drive straight in to load the car!

We decided to have breakfast at Attfield's Farm Shop again, and the place was busy with people shopping for food or eating in the restaurant. We both chose a cooked breakfast, tea and coffee and settled back to relax. I was so glad we'd made the first step in getting the storage sorted out, and all I need to do now is contact a couple of charities and a house clearance company.

We had a delicious and very filling breakfast and drove home the same way. It was raining off and on, but the wind wasn't too strong. I think the Channel Islands and the south of the country were faring worse!

Back home my Mum called and said she didn't fancy attending her nail appointment because of the weather so I had a bonus, free afternoon! It meant I  could catch up with some outstanding jobs, hoover downstairs and clean the oven and microwave!

Keith and I had the Tesco Finest meal tonight for dinner, but neither of us was that hungry from our breakfast, so I'm glad the portion was on the small side! 


No comments: