Thursday 9 November 2023

A shock awakening!

When I went to bed last night I felt worried about Sophie. She doesn't normally get chesty colds, that's the domain of Keith and Mikey who both suffer at around this time of year. So, when she woke me at 1.30am this morning I was very concerned.

We went downstairs and I said we were going to call the NHS helpline. She spoke to a woman who went through all her symptoms, and referred her to a male paramedic who dismissed her worries, and said that she just had a chest infection and she had to put up with it. Sophie was distressed and unable to take deep breaths and she was starting to get a bit panicky. I had got dressed, as I really thought we'd be heading to A&E, but we just had to take the paramedic's word for it. 

Sophie hadn't slept at all as her back hurt and she was uncomfortable lying down. We went upstairs and she came into bed with me, propped up on pillows. We put Friends on the television and we tried to doze off. At around 5am I made her use her inhaler, which helped enormously, and I made her warm milk. She also took some ibuprofen, and we both fell asleep at about 5am.

I set my alarm for 7.30am and texted Sara to say I wouldn't be in. Again, Thursday is just an overtime day, so I don't have to work. There was no way I was going to leave Sophie! She woke at 8am and texted her manager, and I went downstairs to have a coffee.

Sophie felt no better when she got up, so I made an appointment for the doctor. I was very worried about her, especially when she went upstairs to find Gomez and couldn't breathe. I had to rush to her with the inhaler.

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon watching her like a hawk. The inhaler seemed to work but lasted about two hours. I was so glad when it was 2.30pm and I could drive her over to the doctor's. I had forbidden her from having a shower, but she'd managed to get dressed, clean her teeth and put some make-up on, bless her!

After a wait, we saw the doctor and she did a very thorough examination, saying she definitely had some crackling on the right side of her lungs and prescribed antibiotics and steroids to help with the wheezing. I was so relieved. I'd had visions of us going to hospital, just as Mikey did back in 2019.

We collected the medication, and I drove to the care home to see my Mum and give her the gifts I'd bought yesterday. I didn't want to leave Sophie in the car too long, so I promised we'd come back over on Sunday with the Champagne and cake. She had been spoiled by the care home staff and looked lovely today, so that was a relief!

Back home, I made Sophie tea and toast and she took the steroids and the antibiotics. Already, I could tell she was better and not so worried. Phew! The sense of relief was enormous.

After dinner, we relaxed and then it was definitely an early night! I was shattered!

No comments: