Saturday 15 April 2023

Trying questions!

We took Sophie to Vikesh's house this morning and, of course, had to go on a diversion. We decided to pop down to the village first to see if it was really closed, and it was, with men working on the road. I then had to drive along Newlands, a narrow, pot-holed road that led out towards Mawsley and the A43. Sophie had to get a train at 10.30am, as she'd booked timed travel, so I could feel the waves of disapproval emanating from the back seat, which became worse when we turned off the A43 onto an even more pot-holed track towards the village of Hardwick. We were in the middle of the countryside here, and Sophie started demanding why we had decided on this route? Because it was quicker than going all the way to Sywell and doubling back on ourselves!

Shortly after leaving the village of Hardwick, we were at Vikesh's house and I could breathe a sigh of relief that I had done my bit! Keith and I took a more sedate drive home via the A43 and I had a much-needed coffee when we arrived back!

I had told Mum I'd pick her up today and take her shopping, so at lunchtime, after a morning spent pootling, I had a shower and tried on some new clothes that had been delivered, deciding that I needed new bras as well! I wonder how much money you actually spend on preparing for a holiday!

Mum and I went to Costa Coffee first as I needed something to eat and a hot drink, and then we walked up to B&M where I bought mounds of bird and hedgehog food, a new mat for the kitchen and new car mats for the VW. Mum bought some toiletries and then we popped over to Tesco where she treated Dad to a couple of tee shirts.

I took Mum back, said goodbye to them both, and said that we weren't away for long and I would see them early next week. I returned home and Sophie texted me to say they'd had a fabulous time at Highgate Cemetery and lunch in Camden. She'd found a new bracelet, and a new ring and was on her way home.

Keith and I ordered a Chinese takeaway this evening and Sophie shared some of it as well, leaving just enough for some lunch tomorrow. She'd had a brilliant day and had taken lots of photos of the graves, some of which matched mine that I'd taken when we visited back in 2011.

By the time we'd finished eating, it was a bit late to watch a film so Keith and I turned on the 1% Club presented by Lee Mack. We did well with all the answers except the penultimate one when we just couldn't solve it! (When it was explained it looked easy!) However, I got the 1% question right, which amazed me but it was a word puzzle and I do find them easier than maths problems!

No comments: