Monday 17 April 2023

Parlez-vous Francais?

Both Sophie and I had to go different ways to work this morning, and I left ten minutes earlier than normal, driving via Brixworth and Kingsthorpe. One thing was different, though... I managed to get my car into sixth gear on the Brixworth bypass, something that certainly isn't possible on my normal route!

At work, our pool was still closed, and when I went out to reception to get myself a coffee, I said "Bonjour" to everyone rather than my normal hello... I don't know why! Maybe I'm panicking about speaking French! Anyway, Georgie and Dan, two of our managers, seized on my word and asked if I spoke French... I said I used to, years ago when I did an A-level, but I was a bit rusty! Amanda, our receptionist, said that they had a machine trying to solve the problem with the pool and the instructions were in French, but the machine was talking! I went over with her, she turned it on, and an incoherent babble of French words emerged that I certainly didn't understand! We played it twice and I still didn't understand what she was saying! Swimming pool terminology wasn't high on the curriculum in Sixth form! I suggested using Google translate and went back to the office a little disappointed that I hadn't cracked the code! My shift today was a lot calmer than of late so I'm hoping tomorrow will be the same. I could do with an easy last day! 

Back home, Keith had taken another parcel in for next door. I wasn't amused, especially as we are away from Wednesday but another parcel-gate was averted when our new neighbour showed up and collected it. Result!

No comments: