Sunday 2 April 2023

Spring has sprung

I was all set to make Sophie's ice cream birthday cake this morning but couldn't find our cake tin! A lot of things have gone missing since we renovated the kitchen, and although I searched high and low, I couldn't find it. I decided to get one this afternoon when I planned on going to Tesco with my Mum but I was annoyed as I wanted to make it today!

Sophie arrived home at about 11am, loaded with leftover wine (no wine buddy to share it with) and snacks, and we sat and had a coffee and a chat. We couldn't find anything good to eat for lunch, so we decided to pop to Farndon Fields and buy something there.

Spring has well and truly sprung today as the sun was shining and it was beautiful and mild; on the way, we saw daffodils along the verges and baby lambs in the fields! Lovely! What a gorgeous time of year! Farndon Fields didn't seem busy which surprised me, so we decided, on impulse, to have lunch in the restaurant. They seated us immediately, with a smile. What a difference to the last time we visited and we were turned away by a woman with a grumpy manner!

I chose a tuna and mayonnaise panini while Sophie went for the coronation chicken and pickled cucumber sandwich, which she said was delicious! We shared a bowl of chunky chips and indulged in a glass of wine, so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with our impromptu meal! Well, it is Sophie's birthday week!

While eating we reminisced about the freezing cold December day we'd visited for lunch with Zain, just before our trip to Mallorca, and although we could laugh about it now, it wasn't so funny when we sat there shivering with cold, watching the thermometer keep dropping!

After eating, we looked around the shop and bought a selection of macarons and some little cakes for the afternoon. We spotted some weird little carroty things that seemed to have no purpose:



Sophie asked me to guess the price and I replied, "£4.99, and that's more than I would pay", to be told they were selling for £26.50! Daylight robbery! What were they?

We drove straight to the care home to collect Mum and said hello to some baby chicks that were in the reception area in a warmed tank. They had just hatched out and they all came to see us, with Sophie dying to hold them!


At Tesco, I found a perfect cake tin and Mum bought a new top and chocolate. We headed home, made a big pot of tea and sat in the sunny conservatory. It was a gorgeous afternoon and we had to open the windows and doors to let some cooler air in!

After dropping Mum off and seeing the chicks again, we headed home, relaxed for an hour and then played Scrabble. I had no mercy for Sophie, despite it being her birthday, and I thrashed her! Ha! We sipped a pink Prosecco and Keith prepared the evening's dinner of beefburgers, salad and new potatoes, which we grilled rather than barbecued.

After dinner, Keith and I couldn't resist watching the last two episodes of A Town Called Malice, and it had a good ending, thank goodness. Dare I say there may be a second series?


No comments: