Friday 4 June 2021

Sad news...

Work has been mostly uneventful today, and I think we're all glad that it's the last day of the half-term holiday. We had many, many calls about swimming sessions, so that hasn't changed! I really hope that we no longer have to book people onto sessions by the end of this month! It would make our lives so much easier!

I had to speed off to get Mike at 4pm as Keith was waiting in for the washing machine man to arrive. I drove over to Kettering, held up by an idiot driver who, even out of the 30mph zone, carried on driving like a snail, and holding up a long queue of motorists! At one point I was doing 25mph!

Mike was in the clubhouse waiting for me, and when we got home we discovered Keith sitting on the sofa with blood covering his leg. He'd fallen over when he'd helped carry our old washing machine into a van and had badly grazed his knee. I wiped away all the blood with sterile wipes and made him go and have a bath.

After two weeks of no-wine night, we were back on track this evening, but Sophie and I had to cook dinner, as Keith was at the pub. It was a very simple affair, though, and I left Sophie to put the finishing touches to the meal while I went to fetch Keith.

When he came out, Dave came with him and told us, shockingly, that he'd been diagnosed with brain cancer, and that it had spread to his lungs. Naturally, we were both shocked and upset and it was horrible to see Dave so heartbroken. He's going to have treatment, though, so we're hopeful that this will work.

Somewhat subdued, we returned home and ate dinner, all of us shocked by the news. It's certainly turning out to be a tumultuous start to the new decade, and not really the brave new world we'd been expecting!

No comments: