Saturday 11 February 2017

A grey and dismal day...

Today, the weather has been truly horrible - we've had sleet and rain all day, it's cold (1c) and there has been no sunshine at all. It's enough to drive you mad!

I hadn't planned anything for today which was a mistake as I was cooped up in the house with no plans. I really should have decided to do some decorating or even carried on with some research for my family tree. Getting out into the garden or going for a walk would have been a horrible experience! We've had this awful grey gloom for a week now, with only the merest hint of sunshine last Tuesday afternoon. No wonder people feel so fed up at this time of year!

Sophie has been at work all day and Mike went out to Brixworth in the early afternoon. Keith went to see a football match so I was on my own and ordinarily I would have enjoyed the peace and quiet but with the dark skies and the constant rain I felt like I was going mad!

I did have a lovely bath, though, and then watched a programme called Escape to the Wild about a couple from London who had moved to the Yukon area of Canada, which, although the same size as the UK, has only 34,000 inhabitants! That's less than Northampton which has over 200,000 people!

Jimmy Doherty went out to visit them (obviously copying Ben Fogle and Kevin McCloud) and arrived just before the winter set in. I cannot imagine living in such a remote place over the winter with no television and very little internet connection!

Sophie finished work at 6.30pm and I went to collect her as Keith was glued to the television watching Newcastle play. On the way home I bought a bottle of wine and some popcorn and Sophie and I sat and played a game of cards in the conservatory. It was the highlight of my day!

No comments: