Friday 10 June 2016

A titanic baking session!

The other week when Sophie and I went shopping in Milton Keynes we'd seen a Titanic exhibition being set up outside John Lewis and I'd promised my daughter that we would go, and take Mum and Dad as well as we hadn't seen them properly for ages. We picked them both up at 11am and took the scenic route to the town before parking outside John Lewis.

We decided to look at the exhibition first and I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. There were some huge photos of the ship being built and a lot of references to her sister ship, the Olympic. I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, as the furniture on display wasn't from the Titanic (how could it have been?) but there was a pocket watch in a glass case that a man had found on the deck as he was about to board one of the lifeboats. He'd asked if it belonged to anyone but no-one had claimed it so he'd kept it and handed it down to his son. It was incredible to think it had been on the ill-fated ship. There was also a board with all the crew and passengers listed - those in red had perished and those in white had survived. All of the restaurant staff (mostly Italian) had died. It made for sobering reading.

We had lunch at John Lewis and of course Sophie and I went for the Moroccan chicken soup, which was delicious as always. After lunch we meandered about and we saw some HUGE glasses which I took photos of!



The wine glass is bigger than my Dad!



Rather than walk all the way down to M&S we drove down and managed to park nearby. This part of the shopping mall was very busy with people sitting outside in the sun and having lunch. Sophie and I went to Debenhams to look at make-up and then River Island where my daughter bought a pair of jeans and a top. She then treated me to a McFlurry before we headed back to M&S with Mum and Dad.

We took the long route home via Newport Pagnell, Tryingham and Olney and then sat in garden for a while. It looked quite stormy and Keith said it had rained heavily while we were out. He decided to go to the pub tonight as I knew he would. It was a good idea for him to get out of the house and get back to normal.

After I'd driven him down to the pub, Sophie and I went to see Sue as she'd bought us a heart for the conservatory. Her kitchen was full of scones and cakes ready for the Open Gardens event at the weekend. I'd promised to make some muffins as well but her baking went well beyond expectations! I just hope her help is acknowledged!




No comments: