Sunday 12 June 2016

Let us eat cake!

So, it's the Queens's 90th Birthday today and the whole of Britain seems to be in a frenzy about it! Personally, I will be glad when it's all over and we can go back to normal! Even driving back from taking Sophie to work it affected us, as I came across a very slow moving convoy of vintage tractors and an old police car all heading for some fete or other. The local church was decked out in bunting but true to form, with all the street parties planned and events taking place, the British weather let us down with almost steady rain all morning and early afternoon.

I had suggested to Mum that we go to the village and partake of the teas and cakes on offer so I picked her up at 2.30pm and we headed off. I didn't think I'd be able to get parked at the village hall, but I was wrong so that was a bonus. We didn't bother with the open gardens, we just lunged straight for the tea and cake and I noticed that my muffins were still waiting to be sold.

Having said that, there were a lot of cakes left so maybe the weather had put people off. As we were waiting to pay for our afternoon tea Richard and Michelle, our newish neighbours, arrived so we had a good chat with them. They had very kindly given Keith a "Get Well" card after his operation so I was able to update them with how he was. Next weekend we're all going to Sue and Paul's house for dinner and I'm really looking forward to getting to know them better.

Mum and I had a cup of tea and some cake - Mum chose coffee and walnut while I went for the traditional Victoria Sponge and very good it was too. Richard and Michelle joined us so we had a very pleasant chat for half an hour. They are such a lovely couple - very down-to-earth and normal and I know that they will become good friends.

After our tea we wandered over to the plant stall and I bought four pots of geraniums for £1 each. Bargain! There were slightly more people about as the rain had held off and the village was looking very festive indeed. I dropped Mum off at her house and then returned home to find that Keith had almost locked himself out this afternoon when he went to help out Tom next door and shut the front door, forgetting I'd locked the back door! Luckily we have a spare key available so he was able to get back to the football!


No comments: