Sunday 5 June 2016

A little wind has to blow...

I took Sophie to work as normal today and before going home I went to Tesco to buy dinner for tonight and to get some other bits and bobs that we needed. In our naivety we honestly thought that Keith would be home on Saturday but seeing how he was yesterday we now think it will be more like Monday or Tuesday.

Before going to see Keith in the afternoon I did some laundry and vacuumed downstairs. I'd spoken to Keith on the phone and he'd said he'd had a bad night and that his blood pressure was quite high this morning. I hated the thought that I had to wait until the afternoon to see him.

Mike said he had a friend coming over in the afternoon to help him revise for his history exam on Monday morning - it turned out the friend was a girl...he has broken up with Heather which is a shame and also very bad timing seeing as they are right in the middle of their GCSEs!

Sophie called to say she could finish work early as they were very quiet (the weather is glorious again) and it was great that she was able to come to the hospital with me. It wasn't the best of visits as Keith was in a lot of pain, both with his throat and his stomach and his tummy felt like he'd swallowed a large beach ball. I massaged the area and it felt very hard. A huge fart would have been great!

We didn't stay for long as Keith wasn't in the best of moods so we left and I said I would return on my own in the evening. Sophie asked me to call into a shop so she could buy a late lunch and like an idiot I decided to head into town by way of Abington Park. I had forgotten that the Race For Life was taking place in the park and the whole area was crammed with cars and thousands of people wearing pink tee-shirts. Both of us felt pretty low and worried about Keith and we just wanted to go home and relax for a while. Sophie bought herself a pasta salad at a nearby Tesco Express and treated me to an ice-cream.

We were able to go home and sit in the garden for an hour and I was relieved to find Mike and his friend revising in the conservatory. I went back to the hospital for the evening visiting time and I encouraged Keith to move his legs about to try and encourage the wind in his tummy to dissipate. I was very happy and relieved to see it had the desired effect but I'm not sure the people visiting the patient opposite appreciated the release of air!!

After this Keith felt a little better so I was able to return home with a lighter heart. Sophie had started the dinner for me (beefburgers, potato wedges and salad) so by 8pm we were eating and enjoying a glass of red wine. After dinner Mike said he wanted to go for a walk so Sophie and I settled down to watch The Good Wife. However, by 10pm Mike still hadn't returned and I was starting to worry. It was still quite light outside but I needed him home as I was thinking about going to bed myself!

Sophie and I walked out of the estate and down to our noticeboard but there was no sign of him. We waited a while and then returned home where I had made the decision to drive into the village. Just as we were getting ready to go he came home and this started an argument between him and Sophie who had been just as worried as me. He said he'd gone to look for a friend who'd gone missing - why he didn't tell me the truth, I'll never know! Teenagers!


No comments: