Thursday 2 June 2016

Operation Keith

So today was the day I'd been dreading and Keith was up at 5am getting ready for his admission into hospital.

I woke up at 6am and had a quick shower and we both left the house before 7am. We parked very easily and walked over to the admissions department where we took a seat in the waiting room. I didn't know whether I'd have to say goodbye to him there, but a nurse called us into another room with beds and said I could accompany him.

We were both a little nervous but Keith tried to make jokes as he always does. A nurse came to take all his details and brought him a gown, compression stockings (lovely!) and some slipper socks so he wouldn't slip on the hospital floors.

Once he'd seen the Consultant and the Anaesthetist, he changed out of his clothes and into the gown and stockings. It was very difficult putting the stockings on and I was glad I was there to help him. Some people waiting for an operation were completely on their own. The consultant had spelled out all the risks to us both which made for alarming news and I suddenly realised what a serious operation it was. He would be in theatre for about four hours and was having a general anaesthetic, the first he's had since he was about 16.

As it was getting on for 9am now I had no choice but to say goodbye. Keith looked nervous which upset me a bit as he's very much one for putting on a brave face. I said goodbye and then went home to take Sophie to work. I didn't tell her about the risks as there was no point worrying her as well, but I wished fervently that she wasn't working today! Mike was at home but kept to his bedroom so I had a very anxious morning waiting for news.

Finally, at just after 1pm the Consultant called to say the operation had gone well and that they were just finishing up in theatre. I was mightily relieved! I called my Mum to let her know and then went to check my emails and to my astonishment found a message from our Accountant saying there was a possible job for me in his office. That was completely out of the blue!

It's been a good day all round as Sophie received an A grade in her Marketing exam so she was really pleased. I have no idea what to do about the possible job but I replied to say that I'll go down and see him and take it from there.

I was able to go and see Keith in the afternoon and he'd been put in a bed on the High Dependency Ward. He was very groggy and his face was quite puffy but he was in good spirits even though he was in a fair amount of pain. I stayed with him until almost 6pm and took back all the nightwear and underwear that he'd taken in with him. The nurses were very good and he was right opposite the station so they'll be keeping a good eye on him.

As I was a little early for Sophie I had a cup of tea and chatted to Maureen before we headed home. As Keith is not here for dinner tonight we had meatballs and pasta - the meal we always have if Keith is not dining with us!

No comments: