Friday 3 June 2016

Recovering

I didn't have a brilliant night's sleep last night as I was worried the phone was going to ring. Silly I know but it is a very worrying time at the moment. However, I spoke to Keith first thing and although he still sounded extremely drunk (the morphine I think) he was fine and had had a good night.

I took Mike into school for another revision session and Sophie into work and then came home to have a bath. Right in the middle of soaping myself the phone rang again and it was Keith asking me to take in towels and more pants for him. Sophie had spoken to him and was a bit shocked by how he sounded so she was quite upset. I told her not to worry and that he would need time to get over the anaesthetic. He was out for quite a while so would still be very groggy!

At 11.30am I collected Mike from school and made him some lunch. We then went into hospital at 1pm and took a load of stuff with us. Keith was still connected to a load of tubes and was very sleepy but the nurses said they were going to move him to another ward later in the day as he was doing well.

Mike was a bit bored and, like me, hates hospitals, so we popped to the cafe for a drink then went back up to see Keith. He was just about to be moved but we said we would go and that I would return later in the day with Sophie.

Mike was off to a party in the evening so I dropped him off in Brixworth then went to collect Sophie from work. As I arrived in the car park I could hear a very loud alarm and as I was parking all the customers started streaming out of the fire exit door. Sophie ran over and asked if I could help but as it's been almost ten months since the new owners took over I felt there was little I could do. I did go and see Maureen and I showed her what I used to do but it made no difference! The noise was ear-splitting!

Suddenly it stopped and it turned out that the nursery had gone home and had set the alarm! Why on earth they did that at 5.30pm on a Friday night is beyond me! With the panic over the customers went back inside and Sophie and I went off to the hospital. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of spaces in the car park and we found Keith's ward very easily. He was right by a window but was sweating quite a lot so we washed his face with a cool flannel and I washed his arms and put some deodorant on him.

He was still a bit sleepy but looked brighter than he had yesterday which was great. We stayed until 7pm then drove home to put the dinner on and to pour ourselves a much needed glass of wine!

No comments: