Friday 13 November 2015

Supermarket snoopers!

After a bright start the weather clouded over and we had some squally showers and wind. Keith went for a walk (mad thing) while I went home and changed our bedding.

By the time he arrived home the weather had cleared and we were treated to blue skies and sunshine. Keith suggested we drive over to Rushden to see the brand new Lidl that had just opened to much acclaim. Apparently they're trying to take on the likes of Waitrose so we thought we'd go and have a look to see how they compare.

We took a long route to Rushden and had a few minutes trouble finding the store. However, we soon spotted the sign and went in to see how it compared to other supermarkets. At first, I wasn't impressed but after having a good look at the products on offer, I changed my mind. It was a bit like being in a foreign (German?) supermarket and they had some lovely looking Christmas food and drink on offer. It definitely seemed that they were trying to be more "up-market" but they have a long way to go before they can favourably compare to Waitrose, especially when it comes to wines and spirits.

I was impressed with the fresh bakery section as they had some lovely looking continental rolls that I've only ever seen in our Berlin hotel. Keith treated me to a bottle of "Gluhwein" so I'll look forward to drinking that later today!

It might be worth driving over again, especially for Christmas goodies, but I don't think we'll be doing our weekly shop there!

Back home I popped over to see Mum and Dad and helped them send an attachment on an email. They are making real progress with packing up the house and the walls looked really bare. It's all change!

No comments: