Thursday 26 November 2015

Getting straight

Mum and Dad stayed in a hotel last night as the rented house was in such chaos and it was a nice treat for them to go somewhere they could relax and have a meal. I'd booked them into a Holiday Inn in Northampton and they were upgraded to an executive room which went down very well!

Sophie and I called to see them on the way to Riverside and I was amazed to see that they'd already sorted out the living room and made it very cosy. We didn't stay long and went off to Costa in Next for a Flat White and a chocolate Twist pastry, Delicious!

After our refreshment we had a look at all the things on offer in Next and I managed to resist buying anything! After seeing all the stuff that Mum and Dad have accumulated over the years I do wonder whether it's a good idea to surround ourselves with unnecessary clutter! Yes, some things have huge sentimental value but so many of the things we have are just pointless!

Sophie bought some perfume and a ring in Next and then we walked to Boots as I needed some shampoo and Sophie wanted to get more make-up. All the stores here are gearing up for "Black Friday" which is beginning to annoy me intensely as it's an American import! You can't open the paper or go onto the internet without seeing all the retailers struggling to get our attention!

After we'd been to Boots I called into Virgin to book an eyebrow shape. We both agreed we missed going to the gym very much and wished there was just a swim and spa membership we could take out as we loved going and wallowing in the jacuzzi!

I dropped Sophie off at uni and then went to see Mum and Dad. There wasn't much room for my car again so I parked it way down the road and was horrified to see how muddy and dirty it was. We'd also trailed mud into the car as well so it will need a really good clean!

Dad and I decided to head back to their old house to collect their hoover and pick up some things they'd left in the shed and garage. When we arrived there was an enormous removals van blocking the entire entrance so we had to get the attention of one of their removal men who brought the new owner out to see us. She was lovely (her husband wasn't there) and we explained we still had a few bits to collect. Doing it today was obviously not a good idea so she found us the hoover and we took that back to the house so Mum could clean the floors. They've arranged to meet up for coffee in the pub on Sunday so I can help get the last few bits then.

I took Dad back to the house and the decided to try and get my car cleaned at the garage but for some reason it was closed. I headed home, filled my car up with Mum and Dad's rubbish for the tip and Keith and I went there to drop it all off. At least I cleared some space in my garage!

From the tip we collected Sophie from uni and then it was home for a quick sandwich. Phew! Today has flown by! I walked to the post box outside our estate and took Monty with me who ran about sniffing everything and scuttling about in the undergrowth when I was looking at the noticeboard!

It was a damp and very chill afternoon and we seem to lose the light so quickly these days. Back home I relaxed in a lovely bath and then fell asleep on the bed watching Flog It! I now have a cold as well but I was still looking forward to going out this evening with Sue to Sage and Brooke.

Sue very kindly drove and we were soon arriving in the gorgeous village of Grafton Underwood. The restaurant looked much busier than the last time we were here so that was good. We were given our menus and I sipped on a chilled Pinot Grigio while deciding what I was going to have. Sue went for the goat's cheese again while I opted for mussels this time, served in a cream and garlic sauce with crusty bread. For the mains Sue chose a beefburger while I decided on the supreme of chicken served on a bed of mash with buttered kale and a tarragon and madeira sauce. The food was absolutely delicious and my white wine complemented the chicken very well.

This time we found room for dessert and I chose the chocolate and orange cheesecake while Sue went for the sticky toffee pudding. Sublime! We had a good natter and it was lovely to be out and dressed up for the occasion!




No comments: