Saturday 4 April 2015

Early Birthday celebrations!

I was praying that I wouldn't get any phone calls from work today as Sophie and I were going shopping in Market Harborough and I think my daughter would have committed murder if she'd had to go in and cover someone who had phoned in sick!

Keith and Mikey were up early as our son had arranged to go paint-balling with some friends and had to meet them at 8am. Rather him than me! Keith called into Tesco on his way home and bought some more supplies so after breakfast I had another attempt at making Sophie's meringue nest. This time it looked a lot better and I left it in the conservatory to keep cool.

Luckily we didn't hear a thing from work so we went off at lunchtime to do some shopping and to have a bite to eat in Costa Coffee. We then visited our usual haunts (Waterstones, New Look, Monsoon and Superdrug) and I bought some hot cross buns in a very nice bakery that had some yummy food available! I also treated myself to a new milk whisk and a cool bag in a lovely cookshop before we went off to see Duncan for a wine tasting. He had a delicious white from the Loire valley to try and we both liked it so much I bought two bottles, plus some beer for Keith and Chocolate Stout for me. Our last stop was Gallone's Ice-cream parlour where I collected Sophie's ice-cream cake. I couldn't resist a cone with coconut ice-cream!

Back at home we found that Mikey had been dropped off and was covered in strange marks from his paint-balling adventure. He said they hurt!

In the evening I cooked Macaroni cheese for Sophie's pre-Birthday supper and we watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop on the television, requested by the Birthday girl. We drank the Champagne I'd bought for her which was delicious, even though I'm not a huge fan of the wine. Sophie said she'd never tried it before which is why I treated her to a bottle and she loved it!

 The chocolate Pavlova turned out very well indeed and I filled the nest with cream, cocoa powder and mini eggs. I'm so glad, though, that I found the time yesterday afternoon to experiment as it would have been a disaster if I'd tried the recipe this evening!


No comments: